Workable clutter solutions are necessities for people undertaking organizational projects. They are an effective way, not only to get rid of clutter but to manage it as well. Clutter management focuses on eliminating clutter build up in the future by implementing a clutter solution tailored to people, lifestyle, personality and space. By developing a feasible system and strengthening decision-making skills, knowing the things to keep and to let go is easy. Organizing home, home office and office is feasible with a carefully thought of clutter system.
Table of Contents
Organizing home space goes beyond the usual colorful containers, posh label stickers and well put together shelving units. An individual’s home can have all the storage space in every nook and cranny of the house but can still end up with a cluttered space. An effective clutter solution is a clutter system. Here are a few clutter control tips to create a clutter system from.
1. Go room-by-room and section-by-section within a room, to find items that can be donated or sold.
2. See if a yard sale or garage sale can be held.
3. Look in different sections and areas of the home to see if anything can be stored and organized more efficiently. For ideas, scan a home organization store.
4. Find someone (or a group of people) to help cut clutter. Try to make it fun or entertaining — it does not have to be labeled as work. Just supply your friends with beverages, music, music, and socially productive time. Making an event out of tidying will make it more enjoyable and make the time go quicker. Just return the favor later.
5. Organize piles into keep, throw and recycle. You can always separate the keep pile at a later date into two separate piles labeled keep and store, but for the moment let’s keep it simple. If you are roping in friends to help, be sure that they know exactly what can go and what can stay.
6. Once everything is clear of clutter, try to organize things back into your home the way you want them to stay. For example, shoes should all be kept together so why not invest in a rack to go at the bottom of your wardrobe? Not only will it keep them nicely together but it will also make it easier to pick them out when you come to wear them. There are many different organizing tools that you can use for practically anything from your clothes to your recycling. They are a worthwhile investment if they mean that the clutter wont pile up again!
7. Finally, make sure that the house doesn’t end up full of clutter again because of old habits. Create new routines and stick to them. For example, by immediately cleaning up after yourself, you can eliminate most of the clutter from your daily life. In addition, try to do a little bit of picking up every day, so that that small piles of clutter don’t become a huge daunting disaster of clutter. It’s much easier to stick to keeping up with clutter when routines are maintained and better habits are formed.
Some houses, however, are beyond help. This is where the professional’s home organizers come in. In this scenario, instead of asking friends and family to help eliminate clutter in the home, a professional organizer with help instead. They can teach how to cut the clutter and then teach home organization skills to keep it that way. If the correct home organizing skills are learned, then having a professional organizer help could be a worthwhile investment.
Productivity, whether in a home office setting or traditional office setting, can be largely affected by the condition of the workspace. Get rid of clutter and avoid future clutter build-up by following some of these clutter-busting tips.
• A well set-up filing system and strategy of effectively handling paperwork and deadlines can spell the difference between cluttered and uncluttered.
• Stock up on boxes, labels and folders. Invest on a filing cabinet.
• For home office, designate a specific work area. By doing so, important office items are contained in just one location.
• Choose a work table with lots of drawers to put papers, documents and other paper supplies in. This avoids clutter build upon a work table.
• Items that should just be on the work desk are those that are used on a daily basis. Items not frequently used should be in designated storage bins.
Some people opt for hiring a Professional Organizer instead of doing the dirty work themselves. This is an alternative clutter solution for people who have neither the time nor the energy to do the de-cluttering. Professional organizers specialize in de-cluttering and establishing a clutter-free system.
When implementing a clutter solution, it is important to not just focus on the short term way of getting rid of clutter, but it is also important to come up with strategies to prevent clutter in the future. For more clutter solutions in de-cluttering specific areas in the house, visit Good Housekeeping 30-minute Clutter Solution.