When there are moisture and oxygen, there is mold. Mold not only grows on food, but it can also grow on the walls of your home and even your furniture. Removing mold from your home will be beneficial to both your furnishing and your health.
But what exactly is mold? Mold is a fungus that often grows in high humidity, heat, oxygen, and moisture. It is possible to find more than one kind of mold in your home. It would be best if you remove them as soon as possible to avoid risking your health.
Molds spread through spores in the air which can produce allergens. These may irritate the nose, throat, and lungs of people who have breathing problems. These mold-particles may also trigger allergies and can cause bronchitis.
One of the most common places molds grows on is silicone caulks. What is silicone caulk? It is a sticky gel-like material used for water-proofing around structures. Caulk is usually clear-colored, but it can also have color to match the decoration.
Why do molds grow in silicone caulks? We often use silicone caulks in wet spaces such as bathrooms and kitchens. The caulk itself is waterproof, but it can trap moisture under which it stays moist. Since it remains damp, it is the perfect place for mold to grow.
So, do we clean these areas and keep mold from growing and spreading?
Once you notice mold forming in either your bathroom or kitchen, you need to prepare these things:
1 – Creating a paste
Create a solution by mixing at least three teaspoon of baking soda and one cup of vinegar. Combine to create a paste.
2 – Grab your Rag
Once your paste is ready, grab your damp rag and scoop some paste onto your rag.
3 – Rubbing the paste
Apply the mixture onto the silicone caulk and make sure to make a thick layer of it on the mold.
4 – Let it sit
Let the paste sit on the mold for at least five minutes.
5 – Scrub away
After 5 minutes, utilize a hard-bristled brush and remove the paste.
6 – Rinsing
Use a wet, clean sponge and cool water to rinse the surface thoroughly.
7 – Rinse and repeat
Do again step number 4 to 6 until there is no more mold remaining.
8 – Creating a solution is the solution
You may get rid of any mold spores using a bleaching solution. Create a solution of 1:4 mixture of bleach product and water, and spray it onto the sealant. Leave the solution until it evaporates.
9 – The last rinse
Rinse the surface once again with the sponge and water.
10 – The final step
Once your silicone caulk has no more trace of mold, dry the area using a microfiber cloth to finish the job.
1 – Wash your bathroom furnishings at regular intervals.
Molds love to grow in damp places. The best thing you to do is keep the bathroom clean and dry after use.
2 – Buy a dehumidifier or you can open the window after using the bathroom
These will keep moisture from staying in the humid area of your house, preventing spores from growing.
Read more: How to Clean Honeywell Air Purifier?
3 – Put a humidity-removing houseplant in your bathroom.
This further prevents moisture from sticking to the caulk of your tiles. Not only will they dehumidify the bathroom but also give it a better-looking aesthetic. Plants that can remove humidity are:
Maybe you are also interested in How to Remove Rust Stains from Tile & Grout?
Mold can leave long-term, lasting effects on your body, and the faster you get rid of it, the better. What I have listed are the necessary precautions to take for your household. Mold will spread if left alone, especially since your house traps moisture.
All the steps given will ensure that you live a longer and better life free from breathing problems. If the mold problem starts in the caulk, those details mentioned above can help a lot. Households that are left unclean long enough will cause mold to spread on the walls. Make sure to regularly watch out for areas in your home that may grow mold.
This article was made so you don’t end up living in a house that becomes uninhabitable because of mold. Do not risk your health as well as your family’s health by keeping your home moldy. Stay vigilant with maintaining your house so it can stay mold-free for years to come.