To equip garden boxes and high (raised) beds, special structures are used, which are designed for high-quality fencing of the planting area. They are suitable for small gardens and orchards, greenhouses and backyard flower beds, and other small areas.
Galvanized steel is the optimal solution for raised beds due to a number of advantages and design features. The product consists of rolled sheets (flat or with stiffening ribs), which are fastened together using deep piles (at least 50 cm).
To create raised beds, their support and fixation are important. Transverse metal screeds prevent the “spreading” or deformation of plant rows. A strong closed profile is usually used as screeds. All structural elements have rounded (rolled) edges.
The average height of the beds is 15-20 cm (selected depending on the type of plant). The galvanized coating is water-resistant and does not oxidize the soil. Some manufacturers also offer polymer-coated solutions for a more aesthetic appearance. These properties are ideal for growing horticultural crops in a small area.
Advantages of metal beds
First of all, reliability and durability are the most important characteristics of the structure, as well as the comfort and safety of operation while caring for plants. The products have a number of advantages.
Modern steel grades are distinguished by high strength and resistance to various loads and deformations. Materials are selected specifically for garden-type plots. They do not corrode or decay, they are not affected by moisture, various precipitation, or temperature fluctuations.
If earlier slate and ordinary boards were used to fence the raised beds, now metal boards are preferred. In addition to operational characteristics, they are presentable, they allow you to make the beds part of the landscape design and the exterior of the room. Even large garden sheds will have an attractive appearance.
Resistance to bacteria
To grow healthy plants, it is important to protect their root system and soil from the effects of mold, fungi, insects and pests that can become a source of infection and various diseases. The galvanized construction is resistant to the development of microorganisms and is hygienic.
Working in the beds requires constant contact with the fence around the perimeter. That is why modern steel manufacturers provide all edges and corners with a special treatment to achieve a smooth, serrated surface. For this, a rolling technique is used, which will protect the user from injury.
Weight and dimensions
The maximum length of a large garden shed is 2 m. As for the rest of the size range, you can find the best solutions for any site. At the same time, the fence is lightweight, which means it can be delivered by any vehicle. In addition, the parameters greatly simplify installation and allow you to assemble a metal bed yourself.
The functionality of the beds
Metal structures are suitable for all types of plants, including vegetables, flowers, berry bushes, herbs and others. It is possible to install various types of irrigation and greenhouse systems to maintain optimal conditions.
Are there any disadvantages to metal beds?
There are several disadvantages that you should pay attention to before choosing and installing:
1. Cost. This is the main disadvantage of raised bed systems. Compared to other materials, the price of galvanized fences is the highest, especially when it comes to high-quality and durable structures from reliable manufacturers.
2. Thermal conductivity. The metal heats up very quickly in the sun, and can even cause burns if you touch its hot surface. In addition, it accumulates heat well, which is especially important for the northern regions. If we are talking about the hot southern regions, you can choose the option with a polymer rather than a galvanized coating.
3. The need for fixation. For reliability, piles should not just be inserted into the ground but driven into a depth of at least 50-60 cm using a wooden attachment (preventing metal deformation during driving). After that, you need to additionally heal the piles into the ground and tamp the earth around them.
There are no other drawbacks to metal beds. Previously, there were questions about the effect of zinc on plant and human health, but manufacturers guarantee environmental friendliness, safety of products, and also strictly regulate the components of the metal, which is confirmed by certificates.
Where to place raised metal beds?
First of all, the long side of the structure should be turned to the south in order to ensure even heating of all plants. At the same time, on a specific site, there should be at least 5-6 hours of sunshine per day. Usually, the following locations are chosen to place the beds:
• large garden sheds;
• open area of the backyard;
• open terraces and attics (on the first and second floor of the house);
• special sites of landscape design;
• other areas that meet the requirements for planting specific plants.
Metal beds are the best solution both for a private house in the city or outskirts and for a small suburban area and even an apartment garden. The main thing is to correctly calculate the optimal design parameters so that there is enough space for each plant.